Scientists discover new dinosaur species called `chicken from hell`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Scientists have discovered a freakish, bird-like species of dinosaur that weighed around 500 pounds and was likely covered in feathers.
The new species discovered is not literally a chicken, or even a bird. It actually is a member of a group of dinosaurs called oviraptorosaurs.
Scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah have named the the bird-like dinosaur `Anzu wyliei`.
Anzu is the largest oviraptorosaur found in North America and has a crest on its head, a toothless beak, legs like an ostrich and is sharp-clawed.
Oviraptorosaurs are a group of dinosaurs that are closely related to birds and often have strange, cassowary-like crests on their heads.
Anzu with large sharp claws was an omnivore, eating vegetation, small animals and perhaps eggs while living on a wet floodplain.
The full fossil is on display at the Carnegie Museum.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden