Scientists discover new dinosaur species called `chicken from hell`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Scientists have discovered a freakish, bird-like species of dinosaur that weighed around 500 pounds and was likely covered in feathers.
The new species discovered is not literally a chicken, or even a bird. It actually is a member of a group of dinosaurs called oviraptorosaurs.
Scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah have named the the bird-like dinosaur `Anzu wyliei`.
Anzu is the largest oviraptorosaur found in North America and has a crest on its head, a toothless beak, legs like an ostrich and is sharp-clawed.
Oviraptorosaurs are a group of dinosaurs that are closely related to birds and often have strange, cassowary-like crests on their heads.
Anzu with large sharp claws was an omnivore, eating vegetation, small animals and perhaps eggs while living on a wet floodplain.
The full fossil is on display at the Carnegie Museum.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report