Scientists discover new dinosaur species called `chicken from hell`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Scientists have discovered a freakish, bird-like species of dinosaur that weighed around 500 pounds and was likely covered in feathers.
The new species discovered is not literally a chicken, or even a bird. It actually is a member of a group of dinosaurs called oviraptorosaurs.
Scientists from Carnegie and Smithsonian museums and the University of Utah have named the the bird-like dinosaur `Anzu wyliei`.
Anzu is the largest oviraptorosaur found in North America and has a crest on its head, a toothless beak, legs like an ostrich and is sharp-clawed.
Oviraptorosaurs are a group of dinosaurs that are closely related to birds and often have strange, cassowary-like crests on their heads.
Anzu with large sharp claws was an omnivore, eating vegetation, small animals and perhaps eggs while living on a wet floodplain.
The full fossil is on display at the Carnegie Museum.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble