`Sleeping` sun could cause devastating new `mini` ice age in Europe
London: Scientists have warned that the recent lack of activity in sun could lead to a new mini ice age, just like 17th century`s Maunder Minimum, in European countries.
The new warning comes after stargazers saw an alarming fall in the number of explosions of gases on the Sun`s surface when in fact it should be at the peak of its 11-year cycle of activity
Richard Harrison, head of space physics at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, told the publication that he has been a solar physicist for 30 years, and has never seen anything quite like this.
Harrison said that if you want to go back to see when the Sun was this inactive, you have got to go back about 100 years.
Meanwhile, Dr Lucie Green , from University College London`s Mullard Space Science Laboratory, said that it would feel like the Sun is asleep, a very dormant ball of gas at the centre of the Solar System.
Green added that there is a very strong hint that the Sun is acting in the same way now as it did in the run-up to the Maunder Minimum, when freezing winters swept across Europe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'