Top 10 new species of 2014 revealed
Washington: Scientists have selected the top 10 new species from approximately 18,000 new species named during the previous year.
According to the researchers of SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry`s (ESF) International Institute for Species Exploration (IISE), the list includes a quartet of tiny newcomers to science: a miniscule skeleton shrimp from Santa Catalina Island in California, a single-celled protist that does a credible imitation of a sponge, a clean room microbe that could be a hazard during space travel and a teensy fringed fairyfly named Tinkerbell.
The list also features a gecko that fades into the background in its native Australia and a fungus that, conversely, blazed its way into contention by virtue of the bright orange color it displays when it`s produced in colonies.
Dr. Quentin Wheeler, founding director of the IISE and ESF president, said that the majority of people are unaware of the dimensions of the biodiversity crisis and the top 10 are designed to bring attention to the unsung heroes addressing the biodiversity crisis by working to complete an inventory of earth`s plants, animals and microbes.
The top 10 new species are:
Olinguito : A New Carnivore, Hidden in Trees
Kaweesak`s Dragon Tree: Mother of Dragons
ANDRILL Anemone: Discovery on Ice
Skeleton Shrimp: A See-through Crustacean
Location: California, U.S.A.
Orange Penicillium: A New Fungus among Us
Leaf-tailed Gecko: Look Hard to See This One
Amoeboid Protist: Body Builder from the Mediterranean
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Clean Room Microbes: Alien Invaders?
Location: Florida, U.S.A., and French Guiana
Tinkerbell Fairyfly: Do You Believe in Fairies?
Location: Costa Rica
Domed Land Snail: Looks Ghostly, Moves Slowly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks