Afghan Parliament ratifies strategic pact with US
Kabul: Wolesi Jirga, the lower house of the Afghan Parliament, on Saturday ratified a strategic partnership agreement signed by President Hamid Karzai and his US counterpart Barack Obama.
The agreement signed by the two leaders on May 01 in Kabul would allow the US military to stay in Afghanistan after the 2014 deadline, when a majority of 130,000 NATO troops leave the country.
Out of 249 members of the Wolesi Jirga, a total of 183 were present during Saturday`s session, and of them 168 MPs approved the agreement. Only six members voted against the pact, Xinhua reported.
"The members of Wolesi Jirga with an overwhelming majority in today`s session approved the strategic partnership agreement signed by Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his US counterpart Barack Obama earlier this month in Kabul," said MP Habiba Danish.
The pact would be sent to the upper house -- or Mushrano Jirga -- for approval and then to the President for final signature into a legal document.
Following reports that said the pact was being viewed by Afghanistan`s neighbours as a threat to regional stability, Karzai on Friday assured the states that the partnership with the US does not pose any threat.
"There is no threat from Afghanistan soil to our neighbours," Karzai said at a joint press conference with visiting French President Francois Hollande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly