Afghan Parliament ratifies strategic pact with US
Kabul: Wolesi Jirga, the lower house of the Afghan Parliament, on Saturday ratified a strategic partnership agreement signed by President Hamid Karzai and his US counterpart Barack Obama.
The agreement signed by the two leaders on May 01 in Kabul would allow the US military to stay in Afghanistan after the 2014 deadline, when a majority of 130,000 NATO troops leave the country.
Out of 249 members of the Wolesi Jirga, a total of 183 were present during Saturday`s session, and of them 168 MPs approved the agreement. Only six members voted against the pact, Xinhua reported.
"The members of Wolesi Jirga with an overwhelming majority in today`s session approved the strategic partnership agreement signed by Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his US counterpart Barack Obama earlier this month in Kabul," said MP Habiba Danish.
The pact would be sent to the upper house -- or Mushrano Jirga -- for approval and then to the President for final signature into a legal document.
Following reports that said the pact was being viewed by Afghanistan`s neighbours as a threat to regional stability, Karzai on Friday assured the states that the partnership with the US does not pose any threat.
"There is no threat from Afghanistan soil to our neighbours," Karzai said at a joint press conference with visiting French President Francois Hollande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason