Al-Zawahiri in Pak? Khar says no information
Islamabad: The Pakistani government has no information about the presence of al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri in the country, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said on Monday, hours after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington believes he is somewhere in Pakistan.
Khar made the remarks while briefing the Parliamentary Committee on National Security in Islamabad.
Hillary, who was in Kolkata, had said early today that US believes al-Zawahiri is somewhere in Pakistan.
"We have no information about the presence of al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Pakistan," Khar said.
If anybody has any information in this regard, they should share it with Pakistan, she added.
Hillary had said that Washington is "intent upon going after those who are trying to keep al Qaeda operational and inspirational" and that it was in Islamabad`s interest to pursue terrorists who are operating in Pakistani territory.
During her briefing for the parliamentary panel, Khar said US drone attacks were counter-productive and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty.
Talks are being held with the US in the light of recommendations adopted by parliament for resetting bilateral relations, she said.
She said the US has been informed of Pakistan`s concerns about drone strikes.
In his remarks, Parliamentary Committee on National Security chairman Raza Rabbani said no compromise will be made on the country`s sovereignty.
The US should show respect for the recommendations passed by Pakistan`s Parliament, he said.
For years, Pakistani leaders had denied slain al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden`s presence in the country before he was killed in a unilateral US military raid in the garrison town of Abbottabad in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow