Al-Zawahiri in Pak? Khar says no information
Islamabad: The Pakistani government has no information about the presence of al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri in the country, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said on Monday, hours after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington believes he is somewhere in Pakistan.
Khar made the remarks while briefing the Parliamentary Committee on National Security in Islamabad.
Hillary, who was in Kolkata, had said early today that US believes al-Zawahiri is somewhere in Pakistan.
"We have no information about the presence of al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Pakistan," Khar said.
If anybody has any information in this regard, they should share it with Pakistan, she added.
Hillary had said that Washington is "intent upon going after those who are trying to keep al Qaeda operational and inspirational" and that it was in Islamabad`s interest to pursue terrorists who are operating in Pakistani territory.
During her briefing for the parliamentary panel, Khar said US drone attacks were counter-productive and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty.
Talks are being held with the US in the light of recommendations adopted by parliament for resetting bilateral relations, she said.
She said the US has been informed of Pakistan`s concerns about drone strikes.
In his remarks, Parliamentary Committee on National Security chairman Raza Rabbani said no compromise will be made on the country`s sovereignty.
The US should show respect for the recommendations passed by Pakistan`s Parliament, he said.
For years, Pakistani leaders had denied slain al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden`s presence in the country before he was killed in a unilateral US military raid in the garrison town of Abbottabad in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh