Al-Zawahiri in Pak? Khar says no information
Islamabad: The Pakistani government has no information about the presence of al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri in the country, Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar said on Monday, hours after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington believes he is somewhere in Pakistan.
Khar made the remarks while briefing the Parliamentary Committee on National Security in Islamabad.
Hillary, who was in Kolkata, had said early today that US believes al-Zawahiri is somewhere in Pakistan.
"We have no information about the presence of al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri in Pakistan," Khar said.
If anybody has any information in this regard, they should share it with Pakistan, she added.
Hillary had said that Washington is "intent upon going after those who are trying to keep al Qaeda operational and inspirational" and that it was in Islamabad`s interest to pursue terrorists who are operating in Pakistani territory.
During her briefing for the parliamentary panel, Khar said US drone attacks were counter-productive and a violation of Pakistan`s sovereignty.
Talks are being held with the US in the light of recommendations adopted by parliament for resetting bilateral relations, she said.
She said the US has been informed of Pakistan`s concerns about drone strikes.
In his remarks, Parliamentary Committee on National Security chairman Raza Rabbani said no compromise will be made on the country`s sovereignty.
The US should show respect for the recommendations passed by Pakistan`s Parliament, he said.
For years, Pakistani leaders had denied slain al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden`s presence in the country before he was killed in a unilateral US military raid in the garrison town of Abbottabad in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price