Bangla court sentences 5 to death for killing Saudi diplomat
Dhaka: A fast track Bangladeshi court on Sunday sentenced five people to death for murdering a Saudi diplomat here in March, an incident that threatened to jeopardise the diplomatic ties between Dhaka and Riyadh.
Khalaf Ali, 45, a second secretary at his embassy, was shot at night on March 6, near the embassy in the capital`s posh diplomatic zone. Ali was the head of Saudi citizen affairs at the embassy.
"The convicts will be hanged by neck till their death," Speedy Trial Tribunal-4 Judge Mohammad Motahar Hossain said while pronouncing the verdict in a packed courtroom.
While four convicts Saiful Islam Mamun, Al Amin, Akbar Ali, Rafiqul Islamand were arrested by police in July, the fifth accused Selim Chowdhury is absconding.
The judge said the punishment of the fugitive convict would be effective from the day of his arrest or surrender, the court said.
Immediately after the verdict police whisked the convicts off to the high security Dhaka Central Jail, where they would await subsequent legal procedures to be executed.
Saudi ambassador in Dhaka Abdullah Bin Naser Al-Busairi a brother of the victim was present at the court.
Bangladesh police said the four confessed their involvement in the killing during the interrogation, while "it appeared to be an unplanned murder and case of simple mugging."
Al Amin made a confessional statement at the CMM court on September 20. He said he, along with four others, were present during the murder, when an accused Saiful shot Khalaf.
The judgement came two months after the court indicted the five suspected murderers as Dhaka had assured Riyadh of trying the assailants through a fast track tribunal.
Saudi Arabia had earlier sent a fact finding delegation in Bangladesh as no apparent headway could be made in the investigation for months, but the Saudi envoy recently said his government was happy with the arrest of Ali`s suspected killers and Dhaka`s assurance of trying the killers in quickest possible time.
Saudi Arabia is a top destination for migrant workers from Muslim-majority Bangladesh while the two countries enjoy good relations which, however, were tested last October, when Saudi Arabia beheaded eight Bangladeshi workers who were found guilty of robbing and killing an Egyptian. Pg Yala province, soldiers have set up checkpoints on roads in Muang district to look out for suspicious cars and motorcycles that may be used in bomb attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27