Bangladesh issues Ebola alert
Dhaka: Bangladesh has issued an alert against deadly Ebola virus for three months, days after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the epidemic an international health emergency.
"Medical teams would monitor the international airports in Dhaka, Chittagong and Sylhet and also the seaport in Chittagong during the next 90 days as part of precautions," said a health ministry statement published here today said.
Health officials said the medical teams would advise the people coming from the West African countries to contact a designated army-run hospital on the outskirts of the capital where a 20-bed special ward would be set up.
The state-run Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR), however, said the earlier issued travel restrictions on Ebola patients and the absence of direct air links with the affected West African countries made the deadly virus making its way to Bangladesh a remote possibility.
IEDCR Director Prof Mahmudur Rahman said the countries where the virus has spread are already screening the people going to other countries as per the WHO guidelines, but Bangladesh took the steps as additional cautionary measures.
The WHO recently declared the spread of Ebola virus as an international health emergency, saying the epidemic was an "extraordinary event" and now constituted an international health risk.
Ebola causes severe fever and, in the worst cases, unstoppable bleeding. It is transmitted through contact with bodily fluids, and people who live with or care for patients are most at risk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you