Eight militants killed in Pakistan
Islamabad: Pakistani troops killed eight militants during an operation in Khyber Agency while the bodies of nine Taliban fighters were found dumped in another part of the lawless tribal belt, officials said today.
Security officials said a clash erupted this morning when troops attacked a militant hideout in Tirah Valley of Khyber Agency near the border with Afghanistan.
Eight militants were killed in the gun battle. The troops were backed by combat jets.
Security forces launched the operation in Tirah Valley after obtaining information about the presence of an "important militant commander" and his fighters, the officials said.
Some reports said the operation was carried out in retaliation for the abduction and killing of 22 personnel of the Levies militia.
The personnel were taken away by militants who attacked three check posts near Peshawar on Thursday.
The bullet-riddled bodies of 21 security personnel were found in Frontier Region Peshawar yesterday while one seriously injured personnel died later in hospital.
In a separate development, the bullet-riddled bodies of nine Pakistani Taliban fighters were found beside a road in Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency, early this morning, security officials told the media.
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan confirmed to journalists in the northwest that the bodies were of Taliban fighters who had been arrested by security forces.
He said the Taliban would take revenge for the killing of its fighters.
Local residents said the bodies were dumped by the road last night. The spot where the bodies were found is located within a stronghold of militant groups.
Officials said they did not know who had killed the men.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India