Man in Afghan uniform shoots NATO soldier
Kabul: A soldier with the NATO-led coalition forces was killed when a man in Afghan army uniform opened fire at coalition troops, Xinhua reported Tuesday.
The man wearing an Afghan National Army uniform shot at International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service members Monday, the coalition said.
It did not say whether the shooter was killed or captured.
If the shooter is confirmed to be a member of the Afghan army, the attack will be the first of the so-called "green-on-blue" insider attacks this year, in which Afghan army, police or gunmen in their uniform open fire at their international partners.
A total of 405 foreign soldiers were killed in Afghanistan last year. Of the total casualties, 58 coalition soldiers were killed in green-on-blue attacks.
The Taliban have regularly claimed responsibility for green-on-blue attacks, saying their men have infiltrated into the ranks of the Afghan army and police to kill foreign soldiers.
Fifty countries are contributing 100,000 soldiers in Afghanistan with over 68,000 of them American, followed by 9,500 from Britain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'