Maoist-backed workers vandalise Nepal telecom firm
Kathmandu: Trade union workers backed by CPN-Maoist vandalised the head office of Nepal`s largest private telecom company, outside the capital today to protest the sacking of some 87 employees with links to the breakaway faction of Unified CPN-Maoist.
The NCell company is a subsidiary of TeliaSonera, a leading European telecom giant, which has markets in 20 countries including India.
Federation of All Nepal Trade Union and All Nepal Communication, Printing and Publication Workers Union activists affiliated to Mohan Vaidya-led CPN-Maoist, attacked the head office of NCell on the outskirts of Kathmandu.
A group of 30 to 35 men barged into the NCell office and vandalised computers, smashed window panes, devices and a vehicle, according to sources close to the company.
Police had to intervene and baton charge the unruly mob to bring the situation under control.
A dozen trade union cadres were rounded up and half dozen of them sustained injuries in the clash, according to eye-witnesses.
An activist said they were compelled to take action after the Ncell management fired the 87 employees illegally.
The union has warned of strong reaction if the sacked employees are not reinstated.
However, the management was not available for comment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler