Memogate: Pak commission records Ijaz testimony
Islamabad: A commission probing the memo scandal here Wednesday began recording the testimony of Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz, the key figure in the controversy, through video-conference from London.
Commission secretary Raja Jawad Abbas and counsel of Husain Haqqani, former Pakistani envoy to the US, and Mansor Ijaz, among others, attended the proceedings in London and Pakistan, respectively, Geo TV reported.
Ijaz arrived at the Pakistan High Commission in London to testify before the commission via video link.
A three-member judicial commission headed by Balochistan High Court Chief Justice Qazi Faiz Isa is probing the scandal.
Haqqani`s counsel Zahid Bukhari requested the bench that he wanted to cross-question Ijaz in person. The commission asked him to submit an application for the same.
The commission questioned Ijaz whether he can speak Urdu upon which he replied in negative.
Secretary Abbas authenticated that the person present in the video is Mansoor Ijaz and showed his passport to the commission. Ijaz handed over the evidence to the official.
The commission consented to video-conferencing after Ijaz refused to come to Pakistan fearing for his life.
Ijaz claimed to have last year delivered a secret memo to then chairman of the US joint chiefs of staff Admiral Mike Mullen at the behest of Haqqani and the Pakistani government.
The memo said that Zardari feared a military coup after Osama bin Laden was killed May 2 last year at his hideout in Abbottabad by US commandos, triggering a scandal that generated much heat in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!