Militants kill two polio vaccinators in Pakistan
Islamabad: Suspected militants shot and killed two polio vaccinators at Swabi in northwest Pakistan on Sunday, the latest in a string of attacks targeting the government`s vaccination campaign.
The vaccinators were attacked while they administering polio drops to children in Swabi area of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said. This was the second such attack in Swabi.
In January, six women and a man working for a NGO involved in the vaccination campaign were shot dead in the district.
Last month, the killing of a female polio vaccinator on the outskirts of Peshawar city had prompted the World Health Organisation to suspend its vaccination campaign.
No group claimed responsibility for today`s attack though the Pakistani Taliban banned polio vaccinations in parts of the tribal belt last year, claiming the drive was a cover for espionage.
On May 20, suspected militants attacked a team of polio vaccinators in the restive Bajaur tribal region and killed security personnel.
In April, a policeman was killed and another injured when suspected militants attacked a team of polio vaccinators in Mardan town of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
In December, eight volunteers involved in a polio vaccination drive were gunned down in a string of attacks in the southern port city of Karachi and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria are the only countries where polio is still endemic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof