Monsoon rains, floods kill 84 in Pakistan
Islamabad: At least 84 people have been killed and another 44 injured in torrential downpours and floods in different parts of Pakistan during the past five days, with authorities today predicting more rains.
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said 22 people were killed in southern Sindh province and 18 in Balochistan.
Another 15 died in Punjab, 14 in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, 12 in the tribal region and three in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
The NDMA is leading rescue and relief operations with the help of its provincial chapters. The army has been providing support in the cities of Karachi and Peshawar and parts of Balochistan.
Khalid Baloch, an NDMA official overseeing relief activities in Balochistan, said the authorities had enough funds to meet requirements.
The twin cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi received heavy rain for the second consecutive day today. Major roads of the capital were inundated and the flow of traffic in early busy hours was slow.
A total of 104 mm of rain was recorded in Rawalpindi and 96 mm in Islamabad.
A spokesperson of the Meteorological Office told Radio Pakistan that rains would continue intermittently till tomorrow.
Gujrat district of Punjab has received the highest rainfall of 136 mm, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents