Musharraf murdered my mother: Bilawal Bhutto
Washington: The son of assassinated prime minister Benazir Bhutto has claimed that the country`s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf "murdered my mother" as he pledged to play a bigger role in Pakistan`s politics.
"He (Musharraf) murdered my mother (Benazir)," Bilawal Bhutto, Pakistan Peoples` Party chairman, said, adding "I hold him responsible for the murder of my mother."
23-year-old Bilawal charged that Musharraf sabotaged his mother`s security when she returned to her homeland in 2007.
"Musharraf was aware of the threats. He himself had threatened her in the past. He said your security is directly linked to our relationship and our cooperation," he said.
"When he imposed emergency and it was clear that he was pulling the wool over our eyes, he was not interested in returning democracy to Pakistan and my mother started to speak out more against him, the security decreased," Bilawal, who is currently on a US visit, told the CNN in an interview.
For the first time in last few years, Bilawal said he planned to play a more active bigger role in Pakistan`s politics, especially in the next elections.
"I am chairman of Pakistan Peoples` Party. I didn`t campaign in last election. I went to university. I didn`t feel like at that moment. Now I have the mandate to take a particularly active role. I look forward to campaigning in the next election and playing a larger role then," Bilawal, the son of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, declared.
"I would like to help my people in any way I can. It`s difficult times in Pakistan and we all have to help," he said.
Responding to a question on his safety in Pakistan, he said, he was not worried. "I am confident Pakistani government will provide me with the adequate security, unlike the government at the time that sabotaged my mother`s security in Pakistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?