`NATO to remain committed in assisting Afghan`
Kabul: The visiting Secretary General of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Thursday assured the alliance firm committed to Afghanistan after 2014 when the NATO-led coalition forces leave the country.
Addressing a joint press conference with Afghan President Hamid Karzai at his fortified Palace said that, "We are committed to continue our cooperation with the Afghan security forces, to help enable Afghan forces to assume full responsibility for the country ``s security after 2014 and you can look to the future with confidence."
The western military alliance`s top official also stated that NATO will have non-combat mission in Afghanistan after 2014 which includes giving training to the Afghan security forces, assistance and advice to the Afghan forces.
He also said that Afghan security forces have already assumed the control of third fourth of the country`s security and 80 percent of operations against militants are leading by Afghan national security forces.
NATO`s secretary general also noted that "all 50 nations of ISAF coalition remain committed to Afghanistan for now and long- term."
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has begun pulling out its some 135,000-strong troops from Afghanistan and the process would be completed by the end of 2014.
Addressing journalists at the conference, President Karzai said that the security transition process from NATO-led coalition to Afghan forces is on track and will be completed as per schedule.
Afghan president however, described extremism as the common enemy, calling on Pakistan to honestly cooperation in the war on terror.
Afghan officials have often accused Pakistan of backing Taliban militants and like-mined groups, a claim rejected by Islamabad as baseless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune