Nepalese women set to conquer highest peaks in 7 continents
Kathmandu: Seven young Nepalese women, who have embarked on an adventurous mission to conquer the highest peaks in world`s seven continents, are set to put their feet on the fourth peak, Mt Kilimanjaro (5,895 m) of South Africa.
The seven women -- Shailie Basnet, Maya Gurung, Pemadiki Sherpa, Pujan Acharya, Chunu Shrestha, Nimadoma Sherpa and Asha Kumari Singh -- launched their campaign in May 2008 from Mt Everest (8848 m), the highest peak in the world, with an aim to promote Nepal`s ailing tourism industry and set a world record.
"Our aim is to build image of Nepal as the famous mountaineering destination in the world and to promote tourism of Nepal in all the seven continents," said team leader Shailee.
"Three women climbers from Africa, including an African female icon, will also join the Nepalese expedition team during the journey to the Mt Kilimanzaro," she said.
They have already climbed Mt Kosciuszko (2,228 m) of Australia and Mt Elbrus of Russia (5,642m), the highest mountain in Europe.
They are heading towards South Africa on way to Mt Kilimanjaro to scale the peak on May 27-28 under the banner of the Seven Summit Women`s Team, which aims at setting a record by climbing all the highest peaks in the seven continents.
So far, only 51 Nepalese male have climbed all the highest peaks in the seven continents and no Nepalese female succeeded in scaling all the seven peaks.
The Summit Team will also help launch tourism campaign in South Africa, which is an emerging tourism market for Nepal, said Subhas Niraula, acting chief of Nepal Tourism Board, while bidding farewell to the seven women climbers at Nepal Tourism Board office in Kathmandu today.
We want to learn from experiences of African Jungle Safari management and apply the forest management techniques of South Africa in Nepal, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'