Obama using drones for political gains: Gilani
Islamabad: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has said that US President Barack Obama is using drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal regions for political motives, Xinhua reported.
Gilani`s statement came Sunday, a day after Obama reportedly ordered a "sharp increase" in drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal areas in recent months.
"The United States is into the election year and Obama`s decision has been aimed at gaining political mileage," said Gilani during a press conference in Lahore city.
On Thursday, US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta stated in Kabul that the US was running out of patience with Pakistan. He alleged that the country was being used as a safe haven by insurgents from neighbouring Afghanistan. Pakistan rejected this claim.
A day earlier in New Delhi, Panetta had said that the US would continue drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal regions.
Gilani, referring to the need to shed US assistance and become a self-reliant nation, said that economic self-reliance was very essential as a nation.
He said presently Pakistan was maintaining cordial political and trade relations with neighbouring countries including Iran, China, Afghanistan, Russia, Central Asian Republics and India which would boost country`s economy.
He also said many energy projects with Iran, India and China were in the pipeline.
On reopening of NATO supply line, Gilani said all stake-holders would be taken on board and national interests will be safeguarded if the NATO supplies were restored.
Dialogue was going on with the US on the NATO supply line issue, Gilani said, in light of the recommendations of the Parliamentary Committee on National Security, which had sought apology from the US over the killing of 24 soldiers last November.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram