Pak hospital fire: Death toll climbs to nine
Lahore: The death toll in a fire in the nursery ward of a leading hospital in this eastern Pakistani city has risen to nine, with three more newborn babies succumbing to burn injuries, officials said on Sunday.
Another 15 babies are being treated at the paediatric medicine intensive care unit of Services Hospital and the condition of two of them is serious, the officials said.
A fire, reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit, broke out in the nursery ward of the hospital on Thursday.
The hospital did not have a single fire extinguisher in the ward.
Three babies were killed instantly and three others died a few hours later.
Two more babies died last night while one more lost his life sometime earlier, the officials said.
The hospital`s administration has alerted doctors treating the babies who survived the fire to provide them the best care possible.
The parents of the dead babies and their relatives organised a protest outside the hospital yesterday and demanded action against those responsible for the tragic incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees