Pak hospital fire: Death toll climbs to nine
Lahore: The death toll in a fire in the nursery ward of a leading hospital in this eastern Pakistani city has risen to nine, with three more newborn babies succumbing to burn injuries, officials said on Sunday.
Another 15 babies are being treated at the paediatric medicine intensive care unit of Services Hospital and the condition of two of them is serious, the officials said.
A fire, reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit, broke out in the nursery ward of the hospital on Thursday.
The hospital did not have a single fire extinguisher in the ward.
Three babies were killed instantly and three others died a few hours later.
Two more babies died last night while one more lost his life sometime earlier, the officials said.
The hospital`s administration has alerted doctors treating the babies who survived the fire to provide them the best care possible.
The parents of the dead babies and their relatives organised a protest outside the hospital yesterday and demanded action against those responsible for the tragic incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan