Pak hospital fire: Death toll climbs to nine
Lahore: The death toll in a fire in the nursery ward of a leading hospital in this eastern Pakistani city has risen to nine, with three more newborn babies succumbing to burn injuries, officials said on Sunday.
Another 15 babies are being treated at the paediatric medicine intensive care unit of Services Hospital and the condition of two of them is serious, the officials said.
A fire, reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit, broke out in the nursery ward of the hospital on Thursday.
The hospital did not have a single fire extinguisher in the ward.
Three babies were killed instantly and three others died a few hours later.
Two more babies died last night while one more lost his life sometime earlier, the officials said.
The hospital`s administration has alerted doctors treating the babies who survived the fire to provide them the best care possible.
The parents of the dead babies and their relatives organised a protest outside the hospital yesterday and demanded action against those responsible for the tragic incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Islamic preacher Zakir Naik's 'aide' arrested over alleged terror links
- Bhagwant Mann video row: LS Speaker seeks report on Parliament security, may summon AAP MP
- My presidency will restore `safety` in US, says Donald Trump in acceptance speech
- Vatican invited to mediate in Venezuela crisis
- Nigeria 'talking to' oil rebels: Buhari