Pak hospital fire: Death toll climbs to nine
Lahore: The death toll in a fire in the nursery ward of a leading hospital in this eastern Pakistani city has risen to nine, with three more newborn babies succumbing to burn injuries, officials said on Sunday.
Another 15 babies are being treated at the paediatric medicine intensive care unit of Services Hospital and the condition of two of them is serious, the officials said.
A fire, reportedly caused by an electrical short circuit, broke out in the nursery ward of the hospital on Thursday.
The hospital did not have a single fire extinguisher in the ward.
Three babies were killed instantly and three others died a few hours later.
Two more babies died last night while one more lost his life sometime earlier, the officials said.
The hospital`s administration has alerted doctors treating the babies who survived the fire to provide them the best care possible.
The parents of the dead babies and their relatives organised a protest outside the hospital yesterday and demanded action against those responsible for the tragic incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital