Pak panel rpt should not be part of trial: Lakhvi
Islamabad: Lawyers defending seven Pakistani suspects, including LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, in the Mumbai attacks case, on Saturday contended that the report of judicial commission that visited India should not be made part of their trial as it had "no legal value".
Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of the attacks, filed an application through his counsel Khwaja Haris Ahmed that asked the anti-terrorism court not to make the report of the Pakistani judicial commission part of the "challan".
The commission filed the report after visiting Mumbai, where it interviewed several key officials involved in the probe into the 2008 attacks.
During proceedings conducted behind closed doors at Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi by Judge Shahid Rafique, Lakhvi`s lawyer presented arguments against the judicial commission`s report.
Ahmed contended that the report had "no legal value".
The defence lawyers primarily raised objections to the agreement between India and Pakistan for the visit of the judicial commission.
Under this agreement, members of the commission did not have the right to cross-examine the officials they interviewed.
Ahmed contended that barring the commission from cross-examining witnesses had made the visit to Mumbai an "exercise in futility".
Asked about reports that the anti-terrorism court would hold hearings twice a week till a decision is made on Lakhvi`s application, Ahmed said that the defence wanted the proceedings to be expedited.
Following Ahmed`s arguments, the judge adjourned the proceedings till June 5, when the prosecution will present its arguments.
The Pakistani judicial commission, which included
prosecution and defence lawyers, visited India in March.
The panel travelled to Mumbai, where it recorded the statements of the magistrate who recorded the confession of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving attacker, the police officer who led the investigation into the attacks and two doctors who conducted the autopsies of the terrorists and victims.
The seven suspects, including Lakhvi, have been charged with planning, financing and executing the terror attacks in Mumbai that killed 166 people in November 2008.
The trial of the suspects has stalled due to various technical issues for over a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi