Pak: ‘Polio drops are poison and against Islam`
Islamabad: A cleric in Pakistan`s Muzaffargarh has declared the polio campaign ``un-Islamic`` and announced at the local mosque that jihad should be carried out against the visiting polio vaccination team.
According to The Express Tribune, the local polio team entered Muzaffargarh`s rural Khan Pur Bagga Sher area and asked local families to cooperate with the campaign.
When a local cleric, Maulvi Ibrahim Chisti, found out about the campaign, he immediately went to the biggest mosque in the area and declared that polio drops are ``poison`` and against Islam. He added that if the polio team forced anybody to partake in the vaccination campaign, then jihad was ``the only option``.
As a result, the polio team returned to Muzaffargarh city without carrying out immunisation and reported the matter to the Health Executive District Officer, who in turn informed the District Coordination Officer.
A police inquiry was ordered, after which a raid was carried out in the cleric`s area. However, Chisti had already escaped by the time the police arrived.
Residents said the cleric had tried to convince them that the polio campaign was a ``western conspiracy`` to render the population impotent.
After the police raid, the polio team returned to Khan Pur Bagga Sher to implement the polio immunisation campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!