Pak SC suspends election of 28 lawmakers
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court on Monday
suspended 28 lawmakers, including three ministers, elected
under an incomplete Election Commission, reflecting the
continuing tensions between the government and the judiciary.
The verdict affected three federal ministers belonging to
the ruling Pakistan People`s Party and an ally - Finance
Minister Abdul Hafeez Sheikh and Petroleum Minister Asim
Hussain (both members of the Senate or upper house of
parliament) and Minister for Narcotics Control Khuda Bux Rajar
(a member of the National Assembly or lower house of
A four-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry
issued the order while hearing a petition filed by Pakistan
Tehrik-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan, who had asked the court to
declare as invalid by-polls that were held with electoral
rolls containing bogus voters.
During the hearing of the petition, it emerged that 28
by-elections to parliament and provincial assemblies were held
under an Election Commission that was incomplete due to
non-appointment of some members.
The court gave the government time till February 6 to give
legal cover to these by-polls.
The government introduced the 20th constitutional
amendment in parliament to legitimise the by-polls but it
could not be passed due to differences with opposition
parties. The government is engaged in hectic consultations
with opposition parties, particularly the PML-N, to pass the
In its order, the apex court said the 28 members of
parliament and provincial assemblies will remain suspended
until the 20th constitutional amendment is passed to
legitimise their election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now