Politicians, judiciary most corrupt in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh`s political parties, police and judiciary are the country`s most corrupt institutions, a global graft watchdog has found.
Transparency International`s report which was released late yesterday said the 93 per cent people surveyed in their study believed political parties and police are the most corrupt institutions in Bangladesh followed by the judiciary, parliament and government administration.
According to the report, 72 per cent of respondents label police as key bribe takers while 63 per cent blamed the judiciary followed by land service (44 per cent), licence and permit service (33 per cent), health and medical service (16 per cent), education sector (12 per cent), utilities (10 per cent), and tax (8 per cent).
The TI carried out the study for its Global Corruption Barometer 2012, the biggest worldwide survey on people`s perception and experience about corruption, which said 60 per cent of Bangladeshi respondents believed the level of corruption had increased in the country in the past two years.
The study said, compared to 50 per cent of Bangladeshis who had said government measures were effective in controlling corruption in the previous such study in 2010, the percentage had now declined to 26.
Ruling Awami League of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina called the report an attempt at character assassination of politicians intended to "depoliticise" society during a crucial period.
Ex-premier Khaleda Zia`s main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) claimed it was a reflection of massive corruption inside the ruling party but that it was unfair to hold political parties responsible "institutionally" for corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical