Sri Lanka Army warns Tamils to be wary
Colombo: A top Sri Lankan Army commander has warned the Tamil people in the country`s north to be wary of elements attempting to undermine the hard-earned peace.
Speaking to the local people after distributing grants to former LTTE combatants for their rehabilitation, Jaffna Commander Maj Gen Mahinda Hathurusinghe invited the Tamil Diaspora to help the needy rather than undermining normalcy.
"Various groups in Tamil Diaspora are now in the process of undermining the hard-earned peace in the country. Instead of disturbing peace now being enjoyed by people of Sri Lanka, those groups must come forward to help destitute people to make their life better using money being wasted on creating dissension among communities in Sri Lanka," he said.
Hathurusinghe said as all communities in the island had suffered irrespective of ethnicity by the LTTE`s campaign for a separate state, now it was the time to forget the dark era of the past and unite as one nation that is Sri Lanka.
The civil war in Lanka ended in 2009 with the defeat of the LTTE and killing of its top leadership.
In the first phase, each of some 25 of the ex-LTTE combatants released after rehabilitation were offered rupees 50,000. The balance rupees 200,000 will be granted in future.
The Army also handed over a house built by the troops to a war widow. Some 84 kids of four pre-schools in Alaveddy area were given school uniforms, shoes and exercise books as New Year gifts. Another 50 students were given parcels of exercise books.
Sri Lanka is wary of the pro-LTTE Tamil Diaspora domiciled in the West who the government claims are looking for an opportunity to revive the LTTE activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...