Sri Lanka offers prayers to ward off `conspiracy`
Colombo: With a US-backed resolution targeting
Sri Lanka`s rights record likely to be taken up at a UNHRC
meet in Geneva, the government here on Wednesday organised Buddhist
religious prayers aimed at defeating the alleged international
conspiracy against the country.
"We have organised simultaneous `adhistana poojas`
(prayers of determination) today at most leading Buddhist
temples," Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, Deputy Finance Minister,
Prayers coincided with the `poya day`, the monthly holy
day for the majority Buddhists.
"We will face the international challenge with
determination," Siyambalapitiya said, referring to a crucial
resolution seeking inquiry into allegations of war crimes in
Sri Lanka during the LTTE war, which is expected to be moved
by the US at the ongoing UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC)
session later this month in Geneva.
The move is being seen as the manifestation of
international frustration over Sri Lankan government`s
unwillingness to achieve national reconciliation with the
the minority Tamils.
However, the government has dubbed the move as an
"international conspiracy" to undermine Sri Lanka at the
behest of the pro-LTTE diaspora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack