Sri Lanka removed from UN blacklist
Colombo: Sri Lanka has been removed from a United Nations blacklist after the country made efforts to improve health and education and to trace missing children.
The whereabouts of almost 1,400 children who were recruited to fight in Sri Lanka`s civil war are unknown.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, in the agency’s annual report titled ‘Children and Armed Conflict’, said Sri Lanka had made serious efforts to trace those children.
He said this was the reason the country had been removed from the UN`s list, The BBC reports.
Sri Lanka was also praised by a UNICEF board member who recently led a delegation visiting the country.
He said the government`s efforts to distribute money for vaccinations and schooling during the war was ‘amazing’.
He also said the country now had some of the best child-health indicators in the region.
Sri Lanka`s civil war came to an end in 2009, after 26 years of conflict and up to 100,000 casualties as Tamils fought for self-rule.
Many children still remain missing, and the whereabouts of five boys recruited by Tamil factions aligned with the government are being actively investigated by the National Child Protection Authority.
Meanwhile, 52 countries are named on the UN`s blacklist, with Syria, Yemen and Sudan among the most recent additions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH