Taliban kidnap several Pak security men: Reports
Islamabad: Several Pakistani securitymen are
said to have been kidnapped by Taliban militants, who launched
a pre-dawn attack on a security check post near the Pakistani
tribal region killing one personnel, local media reported
Two security personnel were also injured in the attack in
Tank district in Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa province, TV channels
Express TV reported that the militants attacked a check
post of Frontier Corps at a remote Mulzai area, near South
Waziristan tribal region with automatic weapons.
TV channels also reported that the militants kidnapped
several securitymen after the attack.
There was no official confirmation of the kidnapping.
Both sides also exchanged fire but there was no report of
the casualty of the militants.
Geo TV reported that the militants fled after the attack
while taking advantage of the darkness.
The security forces launched a search operation in the
area but there was no report of any arrest.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack but the
local authorities blamed the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
for the attack.
They said the militants had sneaked into the area from
South Waziristan and later fled towards the tribal region.
Pakistani security forces have cleared most parts of South
Waziristan from the Taliban militants during the 2009 major
offensives but the militants are still hiding in remote
mountainous areas and launch attacks on security forces and
pro-government tribal elders.
The attack came amid reports that Pakistani government is
holding talks with the Taliban.
The government has denied talks but a top Taliban leader
claimed progress in the talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth