Two young Indian girls survive Nepal plane crash
Kathmandu: Two young Indian girls were lucky to survive the Nepalese airliner crash on Monday near high-altitude Jomsom Airport in northern Nepal, being among the six who were rescued alive from the debris of the ill-fated plane.
The girls aged 6 and 9 were among three Indian survivors of the crash in which the Dronier aircraft got buried after hitting a mountain peak straddling the airport.
"The girls are conscious and out of danger," Indian Embassy spokesperson Apoorva Srivastav told news channels.
The third survivor, she said, was a 45-year-old man. It was not clear whether the parents of the young girls survived.
The girls and the man were part of a group of Indian pilgrims apparently from the South who were overtaken by ill fate on their way to a pilgrimage to the holy shrine of Muktinath.
"We are in touch with few of the relatives of the families," she said, adding that the control room number has been circulated and people have been contacting us.
Sixteen people, most of them Indians, died in the crash.
Srivastav assured that rescue operations were in full swing as Nepal Army personnel have rushed to the crash site.
"Nepal Army personnel have left for the accident site to bring the remains of the deceased to Kathmandu. They are expected to reach Kathmandu by 4 pm," she said.
The aircraft which hit the top of a hill while landing at the Jomsom Airport broke into pieces reportedly but did not catch fire. The plane is now buried in the side of the hill.
Rescue operations are underway as bodies are being airlifted from the site.
"All fifteen bodies have been recovered from the site and they are being airlifted to Kathmandu," a journalist with The Himalayan Times quoted police as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed