Two young Indian girls survive Nepal plane crash
Kathmandu: Two young Indian girls were lucky to survive the Nepalese airliner crash on Monday near high-altitude Jomsom Airport in northern Nepal, being among the six who were rescued alive from the debris of the ill-fated plane.
The girls aged 6 and 9 were among three Indian survivors of the crash in which the Dronier aircraft got buried after hitting a mountain peak straddling the airport.
"The girls are conscious and out of danger," Indian Embassy spokesperson Apoorva Srivastav told news channels.
The third survivor, she said, was a 45-year-old man. It was not clear whether the parents of the young girls survived.
The girls and the man were part of a group of Indian pilgrims apparently from the South who were overtaken by ill fate on their way to a pilgrimage to the holy shrine of Muktinath.
"We are in touch with few of the relatives of the families," she said, adding that the control room number has been circulated and people have been contacting us.
Sixteen people, most of them Indians, died in the crash.
Srivastav assured that rescue operations were in full swing as Nepal Army personnel have rushed to the crash site.
"Nepal Army personnel have left for the accident site to bring the remains of the deceased to Kathmandu. They are expected to reach Kathmandu by 4 pm," she said.
The aircraft which hit the top of a hill while landing at the Jomsom Airport broke into pieces reportedly but did not catch fire. The plane is now buried in the side of the hill.
Rescue operations are underway as bodies are being airlifted from the site.
"All fifteen bodies have been recovered from the site and they are being airlifted to Kathmandu," a journalist with The Himalayan Times quoted police as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what