US asks citizens to avoid Pakistani rallies
Islamabad: The US embassy Friday issued a security alert to its citizens in Pakistan in view of a march in the capital city by a religious leader.
Chief of the Minhaj-ul-Qura`an group, Tahir-ul-Qadri has planned a march and a sit-in outside parliament Jan 14 to press for electoral reforms, Xinhua reported.
"This security message alerts US citizens about the possibility of upcoming demonstrations Jan 13-14 between Lahore and Islamabad," the US embassy said.
"We urge US citizens to avoid the Lahore and Islamabad demonstration sites during this period. If travel is unavoidable, US citizens should expect significant delays when travelling through these areas," it said.
The alert advised all US citizens to stay clear of all procession routes, keep low profile, and avoid large gatherings.
Public services at the US embassy in Islamabad will be temporarily suspended Jan 14 due to the demonstrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad