Alien-hunting telescope `Colossus` to be ready in 5 yrs
New York: Astronomers are planning a massive 250-foot telescope that will search for extraterrestrial life by detecting the heat that alien civilisations may produce.
The proposed instrument called Colossus would measure 77 metres which is more than double the aperture of any telescope yet constructed. It is expected to cost USD 1 billion.
The telescope would be sensitive enough to spot cities or other signs of aliens for planets as far as 60 to 70 light-years from Earth, astronomers said.
"If we had an investor come and say `look, here are the resources you need`, we could have the telescope built within five years," said Jeff Kuhn, an astronomer at the University of Hawaii`s Institute for Astronomy, who is on the proposal team.
In searches for extraterrestrial intelligence, astronomers generally focus on seeking out beamed signals from other civilisations. In four decades of searching, nothing definitive has been found.
There are limitations with this method, however. Perhaps the aliens might not send out signals themselves. Perhaps they broadcast in channels humans wouldn`t think of using.
Moreover, humans should perhaps be cautious about sending out signals and alerting more advanced civilisations to their presence, as physicist Stephen Hawking has said.
This is where Colossus can shine, Kuhn said. The telescope is a passive receiver that allows astronomers to seek out extraterrestrials without alerting them to the search.
Kuhn`s team builds on a concept first proposed by physicist Freeman Dyson in the 1960s. Humans can capture only a fraction of the energy sent out by the Sun, but a more advanced civilisation would want to grab as much as possible.
Dyson suggested an extraterrestrial civilisation would surround their star with a structure - now known as a "Dyson sphere" - that would capture the energy needed and then bleed the rest off into space.
From Earth, a star that is faint optically but very strong in the infrared could be an indication of such a sphere, Dyson mused.
Kuhn`s team, rather than focusing on stars, is instead looking at the surfaces of alien planets.
"Similarly, an exoplanet that was optically dark, but thermally bright, would be evidence of extraterrestrial civilisation," Kuhn said.
"The biggest telescopes that we`re likely to see in the next 100 years or so will not be able to directly image cities or organised structures on the planet," he said. Still, he added, local heat sources could be visible.
There`s no firm location yet for the telescope, but Kuhn suggested it could be built in the San Pedro Martir mountainous area of Baja California in Mexico, close to the location of one partner in the project: the National University of Mexico in Ensenada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly