Alien on the moon is just dust: NASA scientist
New York: A famous image showing an alien walking on the moon is simply "dust, an eyelash or scratch on the negative" of the film that took the image, NASA has said.
The video showing the alien on the moon was posted by YouTube user Wowforreel and viewed more than two million times in less than a month.
He figured out an irregularly shaped dark spot on Google Moon.
According to NASA scientists, the image was taken by either the Apollo 15 or 17 manned missions to the moon in 1971 and 1972, respectively.
"My best guess, is that something (dust, an eyelash, scratch on the negative) was on the film," Pix11 quoted a scientist as saying.
"Remember, this was in the pre-digital days when all sorts of nasty things could happen to film," he added.
Why the video went viral can be explained by a psychological phenomenon called Pareidolia.
This is the brain`s response to seeing faces and other significant objects in random stimulus, media reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir