Astronomers map galactic space geysers
Melbourne: A team of astronomers have claimed that they have helped map "monster outflows" of energy which are visible from Earth and are streaming from the centre of the Milky Way at an estimated 1,000 kilometres per second.
Astronomers who are observing the phenomenon from a telescope in New South Wales (NSW) were qouted by ABC report as saying that the so-called space geysers are being spewed out of newly-formed stars and not from a black hole at the centre of the galaxy as previously thought.
The outflows were detected by astronomers from NSW and US, Italy and The Netherlands. They findings have been today reported `Nature` publication.
"These outflows contain an extraordinary amount of energy - about a million times the energy of an exploding star," the research team`s leader, CSIRO`s Ettore Carretti, said.
"They are not coming in our direction, but go up and down from the Galactic Plane. We are 30,000 light-years away from the Galactic Centre, in the Plane. They are no danger to us," he said.
From top to bottom the outflows extend 50,000 light-years out of the galactic plane, equal to half the diameter of our galaxy. Seen from Earth, the outflows stretch about two-thirds across the sky from horizon to horizon.
Gianni Bernardi, from Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics, said the Parkes observations show that the energy streams are caused by "star-power" and not by a "black hole accretion disc" spinning in the centre of the Milky Way.
"The options were a quasar-like outburst from the black hole at the galactic centre, or star-power - the hot winds from young stars, and exploding stars," he said.
Image courtesy: NASA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31