Budget woes force NASA to redraw plans to Mars
Los Angeles: Know how to go to Mars cheaply? NASA can use your help. The space agency yesterday put out a call for ideas for the next Mars mission in 2018. The fine print, The cost can`t be astronomical and the idea has to move the country closer to landing humans on the red planet in the 2030s.
"This is the kickoff," said NASA sciences chief John Grunsfeld.
The race to redraw a new, cheaper road map comes two months after NASA pulled out of a partnership with the European Space Agency on two missions targeted for 2016 and 2018, a move that angered scientists.
The 2018 mission represented the first step toward hauling Martian soil and rocks back to Earth for detailed study something many researchers say is essential in determining whether microbial life once existed there.
Agency officials said returning samples is still a priority, but a reboot was necessary given the financial reality.
In the past decade, NASA has spent USD 6.1 billion exploring Earth`s closest planetary neighbor.
President Barack Obama`s latest proposed budget slashed spending for solar system exploration by 21 per cent, making the collaboration with the Europeans unaffordable.
A newly formed team will cull through the ideas and come up with options by summer around the time when NASA`s latest mission, a USD 2.5 billion car-sized rover Curiosity, will land near the equator on Mars.
NASA headquarters is the ultimate decider of which future projects to fund. Whatever mission flies in 2018, it will be vastly cheaper than Curiosity and will be capped at USD 700 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened