China launches navigation satellite
Beijing: China launched a navigation satellite early Saturday.The orbiter was successfully launched into space at 12.12 a.m. It is China`s 11th homemade navigation satellite, also called Beidou or Compass system.
A Long March-3C rocket carried the satellite into space from Xichang launch centre in southwestern Sichuan province, Xinhua reported.
Beidou satellites are used in transportation, weather forecasting, marine fisheries, hydrological monitoring and mapping.
China built Beidou in 2000 to break its dependence on the US Global Positioning System (GPS) and create its own global positioning system by 2020.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife