Earth, Moon may be now 60 million years older than thought
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have finally unlocked the mystery of when did our planet evolve.
At the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Sacramento, California, this week, researchers concluded that the formation of Earth took place around 60 million years older than was previously thought.
Previously, the time of formation of the Earth`s atmosphere was estimated at around 100 million years after the solar system`s formation.
To reach this conclusion, geochemists discovered an isotopic signal which indicates that previous age estimates for both the Earth and the Moon are underestimates.
To put a date on early earth events, one of the standard methods is measuring the changes in the proportions of different gases (isotopes) which survive from the early earth.
The gas sealed in this quartz is preserved as in a "time capsule".
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!