Earth, Moon may be now 60 million years older than thought
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have finally unlocked the mystery of when did our planet evolve.
At the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Sacramento, California, this week, researchers concluded that the formation of Earth took place around 60 million years older than was previously thought.
Previously, the time of formation of the Earth`s atmosphere was estimated at around 100 million years after the solar system`s formation.
To reach this conclusion, geochemists discovered an isotopic signal which indicates that previous age estimates for both the Earth and the Moon are underestimates.
To put a date on early earth events, one of the standard methods is measuring the changes in the proportions of different gases (isotopes) which survive from the early earth.
The gas sealed in this quartz is preserved as in a "time capsule".
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price