Earth, Moon may be now 60 million years older than thought
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have finally unlocked the mystery of when did our planet evolve.
At the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Sacramento, California, this week, researchers concluded that the formation of Earth took place around 60 million years older than was previously thought.
Previously, the time of formation of the Earth`s atmosphere was estimated at around 100 million years after the solar system`s formation.
To reach this conclusion, geochemists discovered an isotopic signal which indicates that previous age estimates for both the Earth and the Moon are underestimates.
To put a date on early earth events, one of the standard methods is measuring the changes in the proportions of different gases (isotopes) which survive from the early earth.
The gas sealed in this quartz is preserved as in a "time capsule".
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply