Earth, Moon may be now 60 million years older than thought
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have finally unlocked the mystery of when did our planet evolve.
At the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Sacramento, California, this week, researchers concluded that the formation of Earth took place around 60 million years older than was previously thought.
Previously, the time of formation of the Earth`s atmosphere was estimated at around 100 million years after the solar system`s formation.
To reach this conclusion, geochemists discovered an isotopic signal which indicates that previous age estimates for both the Earth and the Moon are underestimates.
To put a date on early earth events, one of the standard methods is measuring the changes in the proportions of different gases (isotopes) which survive from the early earth.
The gas sealed in this quartz is preserved as in a "time capsule".
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- RBL Bank IPO fully subscribed
- Muslims cannot use cow urine products, rules Darul Uloom
- Bus falls into ditch in Bihar's Nawada, 28 injured
- Pullela Gopichand is good, but we will find a better coach for PV Sindhu: Telangana deputy CM Mohammed Mahmood Ali
- Didn't have any confidence before 'Kick': Jacqueline Fernandez