Earth, Moon may be now 60 million years older than thought
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have finally unlocked the mystery of when did our planet evolve.
At the Goldschmidt Geochemistry Conference in Sacramento, California, this week, researchers concluded that the formation of Earth took place around 60 million years older than was previously thought.
Previously, the time of formation of the Earth`s atmosphere was estimated at around 100 million years after the solar system`s formation.
To reach this conclusion, geochemists discovered an isotopic signal which indicates that previous age estimates for both the Earth and the Moon are underestimates.
To put a date on early earth events, one of the standard methods is measuring the changes in the proportions of different gases (isotopes) which survive from the early earth.
The gas sealed in this quartz is preserved as in a "time capsule".
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope
- World Hepatitis Day, 2016: Ten facts you should know!