Faint strings of galaxies found inside empty spaces
Washington: Astronomers from The University of Western Australia node of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) have found short strings of faint galaxies in what were previously thought to be extremely empty parts of space.
The universe is full of vast collections of galaxies that are arranged into an intricate web of clusters and nodes connected by long strings. This remarkably organized structure is often called the `cosmic web`, with busy intersections of galaxies surrounding vast spaces, empty of anything visible to us on Earth.
"The spaces in the cosmic web are thought to be staggeringly empty," Dr. Mehmet Alpaslan, who led the research, said.
"They might contain just one or two galaxies, as opposed to the hundreds that are found in big clusters," the researcher said.
These huge, empty regions are called voids, and for years, astronomers have been trying to understand the small population of galaxies that inhabit them.
Using data from the Galaxy and Mass Assembly (GAMA) survey, Alpaslan and his colleagues found that the small number of galaxies inside these voids are arranged in a new way never seen before.
"We found small strings composed of just a few galaxies penetrating into the voids, a completely new type of structure that we`ve called `tendrils`," Alpaslan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!