`God particle` physicist Peter Higgs awarded `Companion of Honour`
New Delhi: Physicist Peter Higgs, who first suggested the existence of the `God Particle`, has been made a Companion of Honour.
In July, scientists from CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, announced that they have finally locked onto Higgs boson, the ‘God particle’, a discovery that crowns the global scientific community’s most challenging and comprehensive quest for the subatomic particle rightly regarded as “the key to the cosmic riddle”.
The breakthrough was described as the biggest leap in physics.
An overwhelmed Higgs, 83, said: “I certainly had no idea it would happen in my lifetime at the beginning, more than 40 years ago”.
“I think it shows amazing dedication by the young people involved with these colossal collaborations to persist in this way, on what is a really a very difficult task. I congratulate them,” he added.
The Higgs boson is regarded as the key to understanding the universe and that is why it is important.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read