India, Australia experiment man-robot tasks on Mars
New Delhi: Indian and Australian space scientists and students are carrying out experiments to compare how well human astronauts and robotic vehicles can work together and perform tasks on Mars.
The experiments that started Friday are being carried out at Flinders Range in South Australia, a rugged environment that simulates the planet Mars.
Acting Australian High Commissioner to India Bernard Philip welcomed the innovative collaboration between the two countries.
"Australia and India are developing many collaborative linkages in the exciting field of civil space science," Philip said in a statement issued Friday.
"The Mars Research Study: Man vs Machine vs Wild" project, which will continue till July 20, will compare how well human astronauts and robotic vehicles can work together and perform tasks on Mars.
The project will also involve joint research into geology and astrobiology.
The Indian Institute of Technology (Bombay) is participating in the study, along with the University of New South Wales, Murdoch University and Macquarie University.
A group of high school teachers will also attend as part of NASA`s Spaceward Bound programme to develop classroom teaching materials.
"Geoscience Australia has helped the Indian Space Research Organisation calibrate its satellites, and the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex is tracking India`s satellite Mangalyaan on its voyage to Mars," Philip said.
"This project will further strengthen this collaboration, bringing together current and future space scientists.
Australian space industry company Saber Astronautics is managing the project in partnership with Mars Society Australia and Mars Society India, and with funding from the Australia India Council.
The development of joint space science educational programmes is one objective of the 2012 bilateral memorandum of understanding between India and Australia concerning cooperation in civil space science, technology and education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February