ISRO’s GSLV-D5 slated for August 19 launch
Zee Media Bureau
Bangalore: Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO said on Tuesday that it is gearing up to flight-test its GSLV-D5 with indigenous cryogenic engine on August 19.
ISRO’s announcement came after a national team of experts gave the go-ahead. The team included Prof U R Rao and Prof Roddam Narasimha and academics associated with ISRO’s rocket programme.
“The moment we are talking about is August 19th, as a tentative schedule and the time is around 5 PM,” said ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan. “Vehicle (GSLV or rocket) is already assembled and we have done electrical checks on the vehicle”, he said. “We have done nearly 35 ground tests since we had the April 2010 failure, on sub-systems, on the engine and on a similar engine in high altitude conditions”.
The space agency designed and developed some components itself and not sourced from outside.
While other operational rocket, PSLV, has limitations up to what mass it can handle, India’s largest rocket GSLV, having a cryogenic engine, can develop more thrust and can carry heavier communication satellites to a much higher orbit above the earth.
“Cryogenic route has to be there for the future of the larger communication satellites”, Radhakrishnan, also Secretary in the Department of Space, explained, noting that ISRO took up indigenous cryogenic engine programme in 1992.
He also said the August 19 mission is technically and emotionally important as the previous venture was a failure. “We have to see through. Stakes are very high, seriousness is very high. Entire organisation feels for it. For the last three years, we have been at it”.
ISRO’s GSLV-D5 is now slated for launch, with GSAT-14 satellite on board from Sriharikota spaceport more than three years after the failure on flight testing of the indigenous cryogenic stage in GSLV-D3 mission.
This failure was attributed to the anomalous stopping of Fuel Booster Turbo Pump (FBTP).
After the unsuccessful April 15, 2010, mission, ISRO conducted extensive failure analysis studies and reviews. ISRO officials said cryogenic stage FBTP was modified as per GSLV-D3 failure analysis committee recommendations and qualification tests carried out.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt