Liquid water of frozen Alaskan sand dunes hints of a wetter Mars
Washington: The presence of liquid water at and beneath frozen Alaskan sand dunes during the winter months suggests that liquid water could also be temporarily stable (or metastable) at frost-covered sand dunes on Mars.
A team of Earth and planetary scientists from Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) performed field studies of the Great Kobuk Sand Dunes, which serve as an Earth-based cold-climate "analog" to dunes on the Red Planet.
The team conducted fieldwork in Kobuk Valley National Park, Alaska, when the average daily surface temperature was -14.7 degrees C (5.5 degrees F).
Geophysical data gathered by SwRI scientists strongly suggest that there is a perched layer of liquid water in the dunes occurring just below the seasonally frozen active layer.
While conducting this planetary analog study, the scientists also noticed that several melt-water debris flows had formed on sunward-facing dune slopes.
At one location, ground surface temperature measured nearby was within 1 degree C of the thaw point for fewer than 10 minutes.
During an even colder period at another dune location, ground surface temperatures measured near active debris flows never approached the thaw point.
The scientists surmise that patches of dark sand on bright white snow enabled highly localized thawing.
"Debris flows with gully or erosion tracks also appear on the slopes of several dune fields on Mars. Very few minutes of above-freezing temperatures are needed to locally melt water and mobilize sand transport down steep slopes," hydrogeologist Dr. Cynthia Dinwiddie, a senior program manager in SwRI`s Geosciences and Engineering Division said.
These phenomena occur at temperatures corresponding to those observed on the surface of Mars, Dinwiddie said.
Liquid water, solid ice and water vapor can coexist in stable equilibrium at what is called the triple point of water.
Late-winter to early-spring environmental conditions at the Great Kobuk Sand Dunes are sufficiently similar to conditions on Mars that these Alaskan dunes can serve as an informative planetary analog, Dinwiddie added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region