Mars rover Curiosity sends images of Mount Sharp
Washington: NASA`s Mars rover Curiosity has sent new images of Mount Sharp from the red planet, which is said to be higher than any mountain in the 48 contiguous states of the United States.
A pair of mosaics assembled from dozens of telephoto images shows Mount Sharp in dramatic detail.
The layered mound, also called Aeolis Mons, in the center of Gale Crater rises more than 3 miles (5 kilometers) above the crater floor location of Curiosity.
Lower slopes of Mount Sharp remain a destination for the mission, though the rover will first spend many more weeks around a location called "Yellowknife Bay," where it has found evidence of a past environment favorable for microbial life.
A version of the mosaic has been white-balanced to show the terrain as if under Earthlike lighting, which makes the sky look overly blue.
White-balanced versions help scientists recognize rock materials based on their terrestrial experience.
The Martian sky would look like more of a butterscotch color to the human eye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MHADA lottery 2016: Now, book your dream home in Mumbai, MHADA online form available here
- 10-wicket haul vs Pakistan or bowling with a broken jaw: Which is your favourite Anil Kumble moment?
- UP Basic Training Certificates: Registration opens for 2-year BTC diploma course for filling assistant teachers' jobs
- Vashu Bhagnani wants Amitabh Bachchan, Govinda to appear in 'Bade Miyan Chote Miyan' remake
- Shah Rukh Khan-Kajol's epic romance continues to rule the Internet! – Here's how