Most distant ‘galaxy city’ discovered
Washington: Researchers have spotted the most distant cluster of red galaxies ever observed, which is located 10.5 billion light years away in the direction of the constellation Leo.
The astronomers used FourStar, a new and powerful near-infrared camera on the 6.5m Magellan Baade Telescope, for the discovery.
It is made up of 30 galaxies packed closely together, forming the earliest known “galaxy city” in the universe.
Remarkably, the cluster was completely missed by previous surveys, which searched this region of the sky for thousands of hours and were conducted by all the major ground- and space-based observing facilities, including the Hubble Space Telescope.
Despite these intense observations, accurate distances for such faint and distant galaxies were missing until the advent of FourStar.
Eric Persson of the Carnegie Observatories led the development of the new camera that enabled these observations. Persson and his team, which includes Carnegie’s David Murphy, Andy Monson, Dan Kelson, Pat McCarthy, and Ryan Quadri equipped FourStar with five special filters to collect images that are sensitive to narrow slices of the near-infrared spectrum.
This powerful approach allowed them to measure accurate distances between Earth and thousands of distant galaxies at one time, providing a 3-D map of the early universe.
The 3-D map revealed the conspicuous concentration of galaxies that existed when the universe was only three billion years old.
“This means the galaxy cluster is still young and should continue to grow into an extremely dense structure possibly containing thousands of galaxies,” explained lead author Lee Spitler of Australia’s Swinburne University of Technology.
Studying this system will help astronomers understand how galaxies are influenced by their environment, evolve, and assemble into larger structures.
The study will be published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest