NASA green signal for 12 space exploration ideas
Washington: With an aim to boost big breakthroughs in space exploration, NASA has selected 12 futuristic space technology ideas for funding.
The 12 proposals for study under Phase I of the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts (NIAC) Programme aim to turn science fiction into fact through pioneering technology development, a NASA release said.
The proposals range from a submarine that would explore the hydrocarbon seas of Saturn`s huge moon Titan to a concept to safely capture a tumbling asteroid, space debris and other applications.
"The latest NIAC selections include a number of exciting concepts for planetary exploration," said Michael Gazarik, NASA`s associate administrator for the Space Technology Mission Directorate in Washington DC.
"We are working with innovators around the nation to transform the future of aerospace, while also focusing our investments on concepts to address challenges of current interests both in space and here on earth," he added.
NASA chose this year`s proposals based on their potential to transform future aerospace missions by enabling either entirely new missions or breakthroughs in future aerospace capabilities that could accelerate progress toward NASA`s goals.
Each funded proposal receives about $100,000 for nine months to a year of initial studies.
If successful, awardees can later apply for a Phase II grant that gives out up to $500,000 for two more years of concept development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling