NASA tests Mars rover prototype in Atacama Desert
Santiago: NASA scientists today said they were testing a prototype of a robot the US space agency hopes to send to Mars in 2020 in Chile`s Atacama Desert.
NASA hopes to use this kind of rover to explore life- friendly sites found by Curiosity, the rover already searching for signs of life on Mars. It has been there since last August.
The researchers say the desert, the driest spot on Earth, mimics the conditions of the Red Planet, and the agency has used it in the past to test space-bound equipment.
The robot, controlled remotely from the US, will continue testing through Sunday.
The solar-powered 771-kilogram machine is equipped with cameras and a drill able to dig up to a meter deep.
It is testing its sensors, its cameras, its ability to store energy, as it searches for evidence of microbial life in the desert.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'