NASA unveils map of threatening asteroids poised to strike Earth
London: NASA has released a map of all the known asteroids that are passing Earth within a close range.
The 1,400 asteroids, whose orbits are given a web-like appearance in the spirograph, are considered fairly dangerous but are not expected to pose an imminent threat for at least another 100 years, Metro.co.uk reported.
The "potentially hazardous asteroids" (PHA) are large - estimated at about 460ft or 140m in size - and can reportedly pass within 4.7million miles of the Earth`s orbit. In these terms - that`s pretty close.
NASA said on its website that this "potential" to make close Earth approaches does not mean a PHA will impact the Earth.
It only means there is a possibility for such a threat, they said.
The American space agency said that by monitoring these PHAs and updating their orbits as new observations become available, we can better predict the close-approach statistics and thus their Earth-impact threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video