New theoretical models help search for Earth-like planets
Washington: Researchers are using new theoretical models to find if Earth-like conditions exist in some other planet.
Yann Alibert of the Center for Space and Habitability (CSH) at the University of Bern, said that the question whether so-called exoplanets are habitable or not is difficult to answer, as all the necessary conditions a planet has to fulfill in order to be habitable is not known.
Based on the mass and radius of a planet Yann Alibert was able to determine criteria that exclude the possibility of life as we know it.
The data required first, planetary mass, is for example provided by the HARPS-spectrograph in Chile, which was developed by the University of Geneva and Bern in cooperation with further partners.
From 2017 the space telescope "CHEOPS," developed and built under the supervision of the ESA and the CSH, will be used to accurately determine the radius of certain planets, the second required data.
Thanks to Alibert`s method, one is able to deduce whether a planet is inhabitable from the data provided by HARPS and CHEOPS.
Alibert said that this theoretical model will help astronomers concentrate on promising candidates in their search for Earth-like planets.
The study has been published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure development: Arun Jaitley
- IIFA 2016: Why should girls have all the fun? Ranveer-Fawad-Karan shoot up dapper quotient
- Salman Khan flaunting his biceps in new 'Sultan' still will leave you flabbergasted! - View pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani': Priyanka Chopra congratulates Sanjay Leela Bhansali for 'Best Director' award at IIFA 2016!
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Chris Gayle goes berserk as Portugal pip Croatia in Euro 2016