No danger from asteroid 2012 DA14: NASA
Washington: Asteroid 2012 DA14 will come closer to Earth than any previous object of its size during a Feb 15 fly-by, but the space rock poses no danger to the planet, NASA said.
"No Earth impact is possible," Donald Yeomans, an asteroid expert at NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in Pasadena, California, told the media.
At its closest approach, DA14 will be 27,300 km from Earth, about a tenth of the distance between here and the Moon.
The asteroid will be traveling 27,700 kph when it careens past the Earth at around 19.40 GMT next Friday, according to NASA`s Near-Earth Object Program Office, which has been tracking DA14 since it was discovered a year ago by scientists at La Sagra Observatory in Spain.
Though the asteroid is about 13 stories tall, it will not be visible to the naked eye.
DA14 will pass inside the orbits of geosynchronous communications satellites, but far above the altitude of the International Space Station, NASA said.
An asteroid the size of DA14 approaches the Earth roughly every four decades, while impacts occur at intervals of roughly 1,200 years, Yeomans said.
The most recent significant asteroid impact was in 1908, when a space rock crashed in Tunguska, Siberia. The explosion flattened trees for hundreds of square kilometers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!