`Oldest galaxy` in universe discovered
London: A team of Japanese astronomers in Hawaii claim to have found the oldest galaxy, a discovery that is competing with other “earliest galaxy” findings.
The Japanese team calculates its galaxy was formed 12.91 billion light-years ago, the Daily Express reported.
The scientists with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan used the Subaru and Keck telescopes on the summit of Mauna Kea.
A light-year is the distance that light travels in a year, about six trillion miles. Seeing distant galaxies is akin to looking back into time.
Richard Ellis of the California Institute of Technology, an influential expert in cosmology and galaxy formation, said the latest work was more convincing than some other galaxy discoveries.
He said that the Japanese claim is more “watertight”, using methods that everyone can agree on.
But he said that it is not much of a change from a similar finding by the same team last year.
Still, “it`s the most distant bullet-proof one that everybody believes”, Ellis said.
In 2010, a French team using NASA`s Hubble Space Telescope claimed to have discovered a galaxy from 13.1 billion light-years ago and last year a California team using Hubble said they saw a galaxy from 13.2 billion light-years ago.
However, the two Hubble teams have yet to confirm their findings with other methods, Ellis said.
Also, a team of Arizona State University astronomers this month claimed to have found a galaxy from 13 billion light-years away. They used a telescope in Chile.
The research will be published in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- China tornado, hailstorm toll rises to 99, at least 840 injured
- David Headley liked Osama's theory on women!
- Modi's stern warning to tax evaders: Comply by Sept 30 or get ready to face harsh measures
- WATCH: ROCKSTAR! Virat Kohli steals the show in Premier Futsal League anthem
- IIFA 2016: Madrid applauds 'Best Actor' Ranveer Singh for 'Bajirao Mastani', actor feels grateful!