Pluto may have 10 more undiscovered moons
New York: Pluto`s orbit may host a formation of 10 or more tiny undiscovered moons, which would each measure just 1 to 3 kilometres across, astronomers say.
This preliminary finding could make life even more difficult for the team planning NASA`s New Horizons mission, which is slated to take the first-ever up-close look at the Pluto system in July 2015.
After Pluto`s fifth known moon, a small satellite known as P5, was discovered last year, officials said they may need to redraw the spacecraft`s path to avoid such obstacles.
In the new study, astronomers led by Scott Kenyon of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics used computer simulations that treat smaller particles statistically.
Once objects get above a certain size, roughly 1 km across, then the programme renders them individually - and this is when the satellites pop up.
It`s hard to say how many there are, the researchers said, as it`s difficult to simulate collisions among these tiny satellites. There could be anywhere from one to more than 10 objects lurking beyond Hydra`s orbit.
While the team can simulate these satellites, they said it`s unlikely they could be spotted, if they exist, from Earth.
The brightness of the potential objects dance with the edge of the Hubble Space Telescope`s capabilities, Kenyon said, and they are likely beyond the reach of even the most sensitive ground-based telescopes, such as the Keck Observatory in Hawaii.
New Horizons might be able to spot smaller satellites before it gets there, but Kenyon said he wasn`t sure when the objects would appear big enough for the spacecraft to detect.
The satellites would be "easily visible" during the spacecraft`s closest approach to Pluto in 2015, researchers said.
The study was submitted for publication in The Astronomical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued