Rare hybrid solar eclipse occurs today
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Skywatchers in parts of Africa, Europe and the United States will witness a rare `hybrid` solar eclipse on Sunday- an unusual eclipse in which the Moon blocks the Sun - either fully or partially, depending on the location. The event is also known as the annual solar eclipse.
Interestingly, this will be the second solar eclipse falling in 2013 and fifth eclipse overall.
A hybrid eclipse usually starts and ends as an annular eclipse but appears as a total eclipse in the middle. However, today`s eclipse is rare as it starts as an annular eclipse and ends as a total eclipse.
The greatest part of the eclipse will take place at 1237 GMT over the Atlantic Ocean, some 330 kilometers (205 miles) southwest of Liberia, according to a NASA website that tracks eclipses.
The west African nation of Gabon will get peak viewing of the total eclipse as it sweeps over a path nearly 60 kilometers (37 miles) wide. At its peak over land in central Gabon around 1350 GMT, the sun will be blocked out for about one minute.
The eclipse will last about 10 seconds in northern Kenya.
Weather permitting, partial phases of the eclipse will be in southern Europe, including parts of Spain, Italy and Greece.
In the eastern United States, viewers may catch a partial eclipse close to sunrise at 6:30 am in the Eastern Standard Time Zone (1130 GMT).
How to observe the eclipse?
According to experts, one should use special protective lenses, camera, telescope filters and other methods in order to safely watch the eclipse. Another simple way to view a solar eclipse is to use pinhole projection. One can also use an approved solar filter.
Watch the eclipse live Astro enthusiasts can watch the live feed of the eclipse on the Internet-based space-tracking service. Slooh Space Camera website will live stream the eclipse online as seen from Kenya, where the sun and moon will form a total solar eclipse.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case