Russia needs leaner space industry: Roscosmos
Moscow: Russia needs a leaner space industry, and that means significant job cuts, according to Vladimir Popovkin, head of Russia`s Space Agency Roscosmos.
"Unless we act now - we will cease to be competitive," he warned.
Speaking about the need for reform, Popovkin said that "reorganising Roscosmos into a holding company will ensure maximum staffing" across the sector.
"If today over 250 people are employed then we calculate that the maximum should be 150-170," he said during a lecture for science and technology students.
In recent years Russia`s space programm has suffered a series of failures, from lost satellites and abortive launches to Fobos-Grunt`s failure to leave low earth orbit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus